Parkinson’s disease (PD) is a neurodegenerative disorder which affect the dopamine producing neurons in a specific area of the brain called substantia nigra.
It is a progressive disease which differ from one person to another. Symptoms develop over months or years. PD has no cure BUT with the proper medication dosage and exercises, we can actually slow down and even prevent the symptoms from progressing! The common symptoms that can be seen are:
- Bradykinesia (slowness of movement)
- Hypokinesia (Smallness of movement)
Let’s see how physiotherapy helps!
- Stretch it out!
– Stretching helps to improve flexibility of the muscles
- Keep that posture BIG!
– Maintaining a proper posture can prevent stiffness and inflexibility. Stand BIG! Sit BIG!
- Get that muscle working!
– Doing proper movements and move BIG to drive that muscle activation!
- Stay active!
– Get up and start moving to improve your physical fitness and well-being
What are you waiting for? Let’s get those muscles working! Remember to stay active and fit especially during this pandemic!
It is important to find a trained therapist to work together.
Prevention is better than cure! We are here to help!
Prepared by Ng Yan Shuang
Physiotherapist, LSVT BIG Certified Clinician