Women are different from Men in all sorts of ways including mental and physical. We as a physiotherapy play an important role in both categories. Three main distinctions for women that make them unique are Menstruation, Pregnancy and Lactation. These 3 function intricately causing drastic hormonal changes in women that helps them to continue the chain of life.
We as a Women’s Health Physiotherapy works closely with women of all ages, from young ladies to elderly. Example:
- Young women athletes with menstruation problems like delaying of period, irregular period and painful menstruation.
- We work with pregnant women in helping them go through a pain free or minimal pain journey of pregnancy.
- We treat elderly or women who undergo menopause in approaching healthy aging.
Let me brief you roughly what we do as a Women’s Health Physiotherapist !!!
1. Pregnancy related Issues
- Musculoskeletal problems including back, knee and ankle pain <this is more prominent during pregnancy because of laxity at joints in pregnant mummies>
- Pelvic girdle pain or in common terms as hip pain.
- Bladder and bowel issues
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- De Quervain as known as “mummies thumb”
- Diastasis Recti
- Labour training ( breathing technique, relaxation position and pain relief technique)
- Antenatal Exercise Class
- Postnatal and Fitness/ Weight loss programme
2. Sexual Dysfunction and Pelvic pain
3. Menopause related issues
- Muscle weakness
- Reduce or preventive programme for osteoporosis < reduce in bone density>
- Incontinence issues (stress incontinence, urge incontinence…)
- Pelvic organ prolapse issues
- Weight gain or weight loss programme.
- Fall prevention programme and training
4. Young Adults Women Health
- Amenorrhea (absence or delay of menstruation)
- Dysmenorrhea ( painful menstruation)
- Scoliosis training
- Irregular menstruation
Above conditions mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg, we still do a lot more like slipped discs, frozen shoulder, neck pain, neurological conditions ( stroke and parkinson).
We are gladly to help you with all this conditions!
Lai Yu Feng